This substantial Grade II listed, five storey building on Gower Place was constructed in 1915 as the first purpose built Chemistry building for UCL. Having grown tired and been subsequently adapted on an ad hoc basis, we were tasked with a wholesale refurbishment.
We have radically rethought movement through the building, improving its legibility and rationalising spaces to make them work more effectively. Wherever possible, we have restored the original form, spaces and features.
As well as consolidating the Earth Sciences department, the Faculty of Maths and Physical Sciences has improved facilities, including teaching spaces, research offices and high specification laboratories. A variety of break out areas, a new student hub, and innovative furniture solutions also create opportunities for collaborative team working, small informal meetings and social interaction.
Rationalising and refurbishing a Grade II listed teaching facility in the heart of UCL's campus.